Finally had a chance to try Shake Shack in LA. If it were up to me, I think these two places are totally two different fast food joints; but people just love comparing these two like they like comparing NY and LA.
Let’s start with the stats shall we?
- Currently located in 6 States; primarily in the Southwest and Pacific Coast.
- Currently have three things on the menu (burger wise – Double Double, Hamburger, Cheeseburger)
- Has a Not-so-secret menu (a play on their actual menu)
- Has french fries and shakes
- Pretty much an easy to order, make a fast decision, kind of menu
- Located almost every where in Los Angeles
- Currently located in 15 States throughout the US. Also, 5 Internationally.
- Has burgers, chicken burgers, hot dogs, fries, custards, shakes, etc.
- Pretty much an extensive menu with different choices and makes a person’s head/stomach go nuts because you want to try them all.
- Oh! they’re pet friendly too!
- Has one location in LA so far.
I’m going to make this simple as possible. I can’t choose!! lol Each one is special; but if I break it down per category it’s as easy as apple pie.
But then if I was REALLY biased; In-N-Out just because it’s from Cali, it’s A LOT cheaper, and you’re head doesn’t hurt from making decisions.
Burgers: In-n-Out Hamburger vs Shake Shack Shack Burger
(Note: I haven’t tried anything else on the Shake Shack Burger menu ..have to go back and try the Chicken Burger and the Shack Stack apparently)
Both Comes with Lettuce, Tomato, and Sauce (Onions are asked at In-n-Out, need to request at Shake Shack – Could ask for pickles here too)
I personally like this burger here. The buns are “toasted” and the meat is somewhat juicier. Tried the Shake Shack one and it can’t compare. Although the buns were sweeter in Shake Shack, it didn’t feel like I was eating a burger. The meat was a bit flat. I felt like I was eating a salad because how big the portions of the veggies compared to the burger.
Winner: Shake Shack
I never really liked In-n-Out fries. I like my fries crispy and always have to order it well-done. Shake Shack is kind of crinkly, a bit crispy and still has potato inside of it. However, I’m not a big fan of the cheese fries. I would love to combine the Animal Style from In-n-Out on these fries…haha
Winner: Shake Shack
They have 2 special custards specifically for LA. Haven’t tried the Shack Attack yet but the Rainbow Connection is pretty good! (vanilla custard, Cofaxspiced crumb donut, Sqirl Seascape Strawberry & Rose Geranium Jam and rainbow sprinkles)
For every Rainbow Connection custard sold 5% goes towards LA Pride. It’s good to give back to the community and support local vendors as well!
In-n-out only has 3 shakes on their menu. I usually like options with my dessert lol.